Sunday, March 23, 2008

Stitches, Sweet 16, and stuff

Yesterday (Saturday) we went on an Easter egg hunt at the McClure's house. There were several families there, and probably 20 or 30 kids. The boys had a good time, and Micah pulled in quite a haul compared to his brothers. Ethan sat on the sideline and watched. He is not walking again yet, (two weeks now) but is finally starting to put some weight on the right leg, and will take a step or two to get from one piece of furniture to another.
It was pretty cold outside yesterday, in the 40's, and warmed up to the 50's during the actual hunt.
As you can imagine, I'm pretty excited that the Tennessee men's basketball team has reached the sweet sixteen in college basketball. I was running at the gym watching the last few minutes of the game, which I wouldn't recommend at all to anyone.
I was tired enough already from working out, and I was in the middle of a three mile run while I was watching the game. I bleed orange anyways, so as the game got close at the end, my heart rate was climbing, and I continued to run. I'm sweating off the lbs. I added at the hospital last week, and at some point I dripped sweat onto the treadmill. During the OT, I slipped on the wet treadmill, luckily landing on my right foot to the side of the treadmill, which was trucking along nicely. I timed it right and hopped back on and finished the run. Everything turned out fine, as I finished my run, and saw Tennessee win and Georgetown lose in a matter of five minutes.
If it was football season, there is no way I could have done that, my heart can't handle it. I'm pretty sure last year's TN vs. SC game took a month off of my life.
Tomorrow is the day that Ethan is scheduled to get his stiches removed. We thought we should take a picture now so everyone can see what it is looking like now. The swelling has almost completely gone away. The larger scar that you can see is where the drain line was at one point, but it is now totally closed up with a scab. The best news in all of that is that the swelling has not returned, the knee is not hot, and he is not pushing a high fever. We are very thankful to God for healing our boy.
Ethan is a real champ at taking his medicine four times a day. After taking it he always claps for himself for doing such a good job, which is a great contrast to how he handled medicine of any kind at the hospital. The picture you see here is the daily redressing of the gauze that is tucked over the surgery site. I'm sure his scar will fade over time, and I'm interested in what it will look like when he's playing basketball for Liberty Christian 15 years from now.
Well, that's all for now...talk to you soon!








No comments: